
Hayze Perham has pledged to put significant pressure on Reece Walsh as he seeks consistent appearances in the NRL after an outstanding performance in the Broncos' victory over Canberra on Friday night. Filling in at fullback for Walsh, who has been ruled out for the remainder of the season, Perham scored a try and assisted another, leading Brisbane to a 34-30 triumph.
The 27-year-old clinched the game-winning try in the 73rd minute and successfully converted five out of six attempts. This match marked just his 40th appearance in the NRL during an eight-year career that has included time with the Warriors, Eels, Bulldogs, and Broncos.
Given his impressive play in limited chances during 2026, the Broncos have reportedly opted to extend his contract into 2027. Although Perham is considered Walsh's backup and will primarily be playing in reserve-grade, he plans to make Walsh work for his position.
"At the end of the day, it's just footy. I really love playing the game. I really love the position that it puts me in," Perham told AAP.
He added, "It was definitely a tough time last year, and to be in a position like this (is great). I'm just more happy that the boys can come out here and get a win. I'm really looking forward to what the future holds."
Perham missed the entire 2025 season due to an ACL injury but credits Walsh for aiding him in regaining his potential. "Obviously, he (Walsh) is a world-class player. Unfortunately, he picked up that (sundesmosis) injury, but it obviously gives me an opportunity," Perham said.
"He helps me out a lot in all different areas of the game, so I try to ask him as many questions as I can."
Broncos coach Michael Maguire praised Perham's performance during the post-match press conference. "I was really pleased for Hayze. He's been on a journey too, and sometimes it doesn't go the way you like," the coach remarked.
"He's got his best footy in front of him. We've just got to keep him on the field now, and the way he played tonight was excellent."
